The manufacturing process of Varam oils, specifically their cold-pressed oils, involves a traditional and meticulous method known as the “Chekku” or “Ghani” process. Here’s an overview of the manufacturing process:
- Sourcing of Oil seeds: Varam procures high-quality oil seeds from trusted and reliable sources. The selection of oil seeds plays a crucial role in ensuring the quality and purity of the final oil product.
- Cleaning and Sorting: The oil seeds are thoroughly cleaned and sorted to remove any impurities such as dust, dirt, or stones. This step ensures that only clean and good-quality seeds are used for oil extraction.
- Roasting (Optional): Some oil seeds may undergo a roasting process, depending on the type of oil being produced. Roasting can enhance the flavor and aroma of the oil, and it may also aid in the extraction process.
- Crushing or Grinding: The cleaned and sorted oil seeds are then crushed or ground using a traditional wooden or stone press called a “Chekku” or “Ghani.” This process involves applying pressure to the oil seeds to extract the oil. The pressing mechanism can vary, but it generally involves a rotating wooden or stone pestle pressing against the oil seeds.
- Cold Pressing: Unlike conventional oil extraction methods that involve heat or chemicals, the Chekku process is a cold-pressing method. No external heat is applied during the extraction process, ensuring that the oil retains its natural nutrients, flavors, and aromas.
- Filtration: The extracted oil undergoes a filtration process to remove any solid particles or impurities that may be present. This step helps to refine the oil and improve its clarity and purity.
- Packaging: The cold-pressed oil is carefully packaged in suitable containers that protect it from light, moisture, and air. This packaging ensures the freshness and longevity of the oil.
It’s important to note that the manufacturing process may vary slightly depending on the type of oil being produced and the specific equipment used. However, the key characteristic of Varam oils is the use of the traditional Chekku process, which involves cold-pressing the oil seeds without the use of heat or chemicals. This gentle extraction method helps preserve the natural goodness, nutritional value, and sensory qualities of the oils, resulting in high-quality and authentic products.