We at Varam(Chennai) are fully aware of the medicinal and culinary importance that jaggery / Nattu sakkarai holds in the Indian cuisine. We use the most nutritious sugar canes to extract our jaggery powder and ensure it is brought to you free of all chemicals and rich in vitamins and minerals.
Health benefits of jaggery powder / Nattu sakkarai
Jaggery (or gur) is made from unrefined sugar, and is obtained by boiling raw, concentrated sugar cane juice till it solidifies. Although jaggery is also made from the sap of coconut and date palm, the one made from sugar cane is the one that’s used most widely.
Nattu Sakkarai, also known as country sugar,or traditional sugar is an organic form of white sugar. It does not contain any chemical additives. Unlike the processing of brown sugar in which the molasses are added/reintroduced to retain colour, nattu sakkarai is processed differently allowing it to retain its original, natural nutrients. The processing of nattu sakkarai is chemical free, retain its nutrients and stays true to organic products, with the sugarcane it is sourced from being organic as well.This type of sugar is one of the best forms for consumption, a better and healthier substitute to white sugar. There are no negative effects to nattu sakkarai and you do not lose out on the taste that sugars should be.
Not only is gur better than white sugar–which only adds empty calories to your body–it also has a number of health benefits, including its ability to cleanse the body, aid in digestion and provide good amounts of minerals. Here are some health benefits that will make you want to adopt jaggery as your go-to sweetener for everyday purposes:
- It prevents constipation by aiding digestion. It activates the digestive enzymes in our body, thus helps in proper digestion of food. That’s why many people prefer eating gur after a meal.
- It acts as a detox, as it helps cleanse the liver by flushing out nasty toxins from the body.
- Gur is loaded with antioxidants and minerals like zinc and selenium, which help prevent free-radicals (responsible for early ageing). It helps boost resistance against infections, hence building stronger immunity.
- Eating a piece of gur daily can help women combat PMS symptoms including mood swings, menstrual cramps and abdominal pain.
- Jaggery acts as a natural sweetener and provides energy over an extended period of time. Even factory-made honey has been deemed unhealthy because it gets ripped of its nutrients. That’s when gur steps in!
- It is, however, suggested to consume gur / Nattu Sakkarai in moderation, as it is slightly higher in calories, containing up to 4 kcal/gram. People who are diabetic or are following a weight loss diet should monitor their consumption of jaggery, as it can lead to weight gain and fluctuations in blood-sugar levels.
Rich in iron and calcium
Improves bone strength
Reduces hair fall and prevent dandruff
Prevents knee and joint pain
Helps against diabetes